Saturday, August 31, 2013

Healthy Chocolate-Oat Energy Bars

I've just finished my first full week of school, and I'm already exhausted by it all! Of course it's been fun -- I love all my classes and teachers, and I had a lot of fun this week hanging out with friends I haven't seen all summer, as well as auditioning for plays and singing groups! 
But could we do all that minus the waking-up-early part?



These Chocolate-Oat Energy Bars are healthy, delicious, energizing, and best of all, contain chocolate! Continue reading for the recipe and to learn about the nutritional benefits!

Chocolate-Oat Energy Bars
Ingredients
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup unsalted nuts, chopped
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 stick butter, melted

3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cups chocolate chips

Directions
Combine oats, nuts, granulated sugar in large bowl. Stir in melted butter. Spread into shallow baking pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes, or until oats and nuts are toasted, stirring once. Remove from oven, and transfer mixture to large bowl. Allow to cool completely.
Cream together butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Add baking soda, cinnamon, salt, beating until just combined. Add eggs and vanilla extract, beating until combined. Gradually sift in flour and beat until just combined. Add oat mixture and stir well until combined.
Spread half of dough into 13"x9" baking pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips over top, pressing gently into dough. Dot remaining mixture on top of morsels.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25-28 minutes or until set. Allow to cool for five minutes, then cut into bars. Allow to cool completely. Serve and enjoy! :)


 Nutritional Benefits of Oats
-protects against heart disease and cancer
-reduces risk of type 2 diabetes
-removes bad cholesterol
-contains fiber and protein

Nutritional Benefits of Nuts
-rich in energy, protein, antioxidants
-full of vitamins, minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids



2 Timothy 1:7
For the Spirit God gave us does not make up timid, but gives us power, love, and self-discipline.

4 comments :

  1. new camera? i love the quality! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep! so much better than my phone camera haha :D

      Delete
  2. Hi Kelly,

    Your energy bars look great! Are you bringing these as part of your lunch in your lunchbox?

    Greeting from Australia! I'm a Singaporean mum living in Australia and loves baking too for my family and friends. Nice to know you via blogging. You are very talented with your baking and I would love to follow your blog. Please feel free to visit my blog, http://bakeforhappykids.blogspot.com.au/ and say Hi to me too.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe!
      Thank you so much! I just checked out your blog and it looks very professional - I would LOVE to get to that level someday :) I followed you back and will make sure to say hi from time to time!

      God bless you! :)
      Kelly

      Delete

09 10