Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Summer 2013 Baking Party #3: Molasses Problems... (Brownie Torte)

As usual, I can never pass up a baking party, especially with one of my best friends! Unfortunately, Esther was too busy to join us today. :(

***By the way, Nysha just launched an awesome new blog. It's called ~Stardust Explosions~ super artsy, just like her! Click the link to read drama/movie reviews, recaps, tutorials, and more! Don't forget to follow and share her blog!***


For our third baking party this summer, we decided on a recipe for a Brownie Torte.



You may be wondering why I named this post "Molasses Problems". If you look at the recipe, you'll see it doesn't even call for molasses. We used it as a substitute for light corn syrup.
You know those days, when you don't feel like doing anything. I can't believe I'm saying/typing this, but I'm getting sick of going to the grocery store. The thing is, I go there almost every other day. If the cashiers weren't on a weird rotational schedule, I'd probably be best friends with all of them by now. 
Also, I walk everywhere I go. I'm fifteen. I can't drive (by myself). And I can only take so much sass from my brother when I ask him to drive me places. And on top of that, I'm broke. From all the baking stuff I got in the past month. So no shopping today.


So it was settled. Corn syrup could be replaced by molasses, which I had stored since last Christmas. The Internet told us that light corn syrup can be replaced by light molasses, but to only use 1/3 as much as it calls for. That part was not a problem, but I had "unsulphured golden molasses". What. Anyone know the difference?


To make things worse, it was SO messy. By the time we were done, my shirt was smeared with molasses, which was super sticky and smelled horrible. Obviously, we had a bad impression on molasses, and we got worried for how the brownie torte would turn out.

It would have been worth it to just get corn syrup.

Nevertheless, the result was great! If I wasn't looking for the taste and smell of molasses, you would think it was a regular cake with, depending on the person, a hint of coffee.

I even decided I would use molasses again if I ever made this recipe in the future.

The recipe is fairly complicated, but if you read over it a few times before making it, you won't stumble as much if you don't make batter this way normally.


Brownie Torte
Torte:
1/2 cup butter
1/6 cup molasses
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Glaze:
2 tbsp butter
1/3 of 1 tbsp corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
fresh strawberries

1. Butter and flour a 9 inch round cake pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. To Make Torte: In a pan over low heat, melt butter and molasses.
3. Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips until melted.
4. Remove from heat and add sugar and eggs, and stir until blended.
5. Stir in 1 tsp vanilla and flour.
6. Pour into pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Allow to cool.
7. To Make Glaze: In a pan, combine chocolate chips, butter and molasses. Stir over low heat till chocolate chips are melted. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.
8. Frost tops and side of torte. Chill until set. Garnish with whipped cream and sliced strawberries.


Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work. If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!

2 comments :

  1. LOL molasses problems /falls over
    how did your family like the cake?

    i uploaded a pic here: http://knightsha.deviantart.com/art/oxygen-cravings-382729098
    but its probably blocked for you /sniffs
    i'll show you next time ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, it's blocked :( I think only Esther tried it, but she liked it :D yayy

      Delete

09 10